About UsHistory of CCS
Our Organization’s History
The National Christ Child Society was founded in 1887 in Washington, D.C., by Mary Virginia Merrick. Although confined to a wheelchair, Mary refused to let her physical condition prevent her from working on behalf of needy children. Her vision was “To see the Christ Child in every child and serve Him.”
The Pittsburgh Chapter of The Christ Child Society was formed in 1992 with 25 founding members, many of whom are still active. It is one of 44 chapters of the National Christ Child Society. In 1993 Bishop Donald W. Wuerl, Ordinary of the Diocese of Pittsburgh recognized the Society as an official diocesan organization and gave approval for it to operate under the auspices of the Diocese. The Society is chartered as a non-profit corporation of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and is qualified as a tax exempt corporation under the Internal Revenue Code, Section 501(c) (3). In 1993 the Society was approved as Donor Option agency number 4688 of the United Way of Southwestern Pennsylvania.
In 1994, the Society was granted its Charter from the National Christ Child Society bringing the Society in to full membership of the National organization.
Members are drawn from many faith traditions and give their service as volunteers dedicated to Mary Virginia Merrick’s motto “Nothing is ever too much to do for a child.” Each member is expected to give 40 hours of service to the programs of the Society and to provide financial support via fundraising events and donations.
The Society’s charitable service programs target underprivileged children, regardless of race, creed, or color. Donations, grants, Donor Option designations by United Way contributors, members’ dues and THE RED WAGON FARE give the Christ Child Society life.
MARY ANN GONOT
BOARD OF DIRECTORS